By Kristen Tribe | Published Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Wise County judge candidate J.D. Clark continues to outpace his competitors in political campaign collections, according to the most recent campaign finance reports.
In less than a month, he collected $3,370, bringing his total campaign contributions to $7,700. Fellow judge candidate Keith McComis reported $1,400 in contributions, and Kyle Stephens reported no contributions.
The reports turned in Monday detail contributions and expenditures from Jan. 1 to Jan. 23, and all opposed candidates are required by the Texas Ethics Commission to file the report. Two more reports will be filed before the March 4 primary.
While Clark collected the most, he spent little in the 23-day window: $820.40. This was after reporting more than $4,000 in expenditures in the last report, which covered July 1 through Dec. 31, 2013.
McComis reported spending $2,099.91 during January, and his previous report indicated he spent $2,835.90 July 1 through Dec. 31, 2013.
Stephens reported almost $3,000 in expenditures in the last report, but none Jan. 1-23.
Three candidates topped the $3,000 mark for this reporting period. They include: Jan Morrow, $3,382.73, seeking re-election as Precinct 1 justice of the peace; Katherine Hudson, $3,209.39, seeking re-election as county treasurer; and Callie Manning, $3,113.38, who is running for district clerk.
Below is a list of candidates and the information as it appears on their campaign finance report forms.
COUNTY JUDGE REPUBLICANS
- J.D. Clark: $3,370 contributions, $820.40 expenditures
Contributions included $500 each from Jim and Anna Hand of Chico, Kenneth and JoAnn Manning of Chico, Brian and Lana Hand of Decatur and Tera Huffman of College Station; $250 each from Jerrod Mowery of Bridgeport and Robin Melton of Runaway Bay; $200 each from Rebecca Parr of Boyd and Paul and Jacqui Duffley of Alvord; and $100 from Joe Clark of Chico.
- Keith McComis: $1,400 contributions, $2,099.91 expenditures
- Contributions included $500 from Fred Meyers of Bridgeport; $250 from Sid Hodges of Bridgeport; and $100 each from Gaylan Rice of Bridgeport and Jerry Stanfield of Chico. McComis also reported $450 in donations of $50 or less.
- Kyle Stephens: $0 contributions, $0 expenditures
- Jim Stegall: $0 contributions, $269.88 expenditures
PRECINCT 4 COUNTY COMMISSIONER REPUBLICANS
Gaylord Kennedy: $0 contributions, $785.09 expenditures
- David Stewart: $100 contributions, $849.77 expenditures
Although Stewart reported $100 total contributions, he itemized $150. Those included a $100 contribution from Robert Moody of Runaway Bay and $50 from Charles Todd of Runaway Bay.
- Terry Ross: $550 contributions, $550 expenditures
Contributions included $350 from Billy Joe Shepherd of Bridgeport and $200 from Sid Hodges of Bridgeport.
- Kristina Kemp: $300 contributions, $0 expenditures
Kemp reported a single contribution of $300 from Lee Foster of Alvord.
DISTRICT CLERK REPUBLICANS
- Brenda Rowe: $0 contributions, $892.18 expenditures
- Callie Manning: $1,975 contributions, $3,113.38 expenditures
Contributions included $1,000 from Derrick Boyd of Decatur; $500 from Dwayne and Debbie Watts of Bridgeport; $200 from University of Gymnastics, Dayna Deprospero; $100 each from Barbara Robinson of Alvord and J.E. Haynes of Decatur; and $75 from Janey Cooper of Sunset.
COUNTY TREASURER REPUBLICANS
- Katherine Hudson: $0 contributions; $3,209.39 expenditures
- Daniel Rivas: $925 contributions; $281.45 expenditures
Contributions included $500 from Bill Hoerth of Alvord; $200 from Jerry Howard of Decatur; $100 each from Mel Holloway of Decatur and Clarence Winn of Decatur; and $25 from Dr. Charles Boatner.
PRECINCT 1 JUSTICE OF THE PEACE REPUBLICANS
- Jan Morrow: $600 contributions, $3,382.73 expenditures
Contributions included $300 each from Karl Klement Chrysler Dodge Jeep, Karl Klement and Karl Klement Chrylser Dodge Jeep, Kim Klement.
- Josh Reynolds: $0 contributions, $10 expenditures
PRECINCT 4 JUSTICE OF THE PEACE REPUBLICANS
- Clay Poynor: $200 contributions, $1,575 expenditures
Poynor reported a single $200 contribution from Sid and Bonnie Hodges of Bridgeport.
- Teresa Graves: $100 contributions, $1,331.47 expenditures
Graves reported a single $100 contribution from Pat Younger of Chico.
The Wise County Republican Party will host a candidate debate 6 to 8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 10, at the Decatur Civic Center. All contested candidates are expected to attend.